The Kiddo

Some kids naturally play with their toys. Then there is my kid. He has ADHD. Focusing is not easy for him and neither is, what would be for other children, a small level frustration. Apps for our iPhone and iPad have been great tools for him (and us) to engage him in ways that he doesn't always get from traditional toys.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Where's My Water by DIsney

One of my son’s favorite apps (and truth be told, one of my favorites too) starts with a sweet story of Swampy the alligator, who lives below the streets in the sewers.

Swampy needs fresh water to take his bath and though it’s easy to “dig” away the dirt at the beginning of the game, the more difficult levels involve obstacles which means a lot of planning and experimenting.

I’ve learned a lot about working memory from the blog ToysAreTools and I’m pretty certain that I’ve been improving my own working memory when I play (shhh, don’t tell my kiddo).

One of the things that impresses me most about this well executed app is that there are a variety of physics involved. Besides gravity (you can’t get the water to go anywhere but across or down) there is shooting water, levers, and waves.

It’s not easy for my son to plan and less easy for him to focus, but this game has drawn him in and he is willing to do both, just to get that alligator his bath water.



I’d suggest this to anyone with a child who enjoys figuring out how things work (kiddo and i spend a lot of time peering into construction sites). It may be too hard for a child under 4 depending on the child. It doesn’t require tilting or a great deal of manual dexterity but in the harder levels, a few moves need to be executed quickly.



For 99 cents of pure fun, click here to get yours.




1 comment:

  1. thanks for mentioning my site! I can't wait to read more. I feel overwhelmed by all that is out there and I literally want to hand a friend my iPad and an iTunes card but I know that isn't the right thing to do. Reading this blog is the next best thing.

    ReplyDelete